Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

How to Make Any Home Appliance Into a Solar Electric Hybrid


The biggest problem with implementing residential solar power is the start up cost. Home solar systems can cost tens of thousands of dollars and most families just can't afford it. So I came up with an idea for scaling a solar electric system down to make it cheaper and easier to implement. By designing a system for a single appliance, all the parts can be smaller/cheaper and it doesn't require any rewiring of the home's electrical system.


Here are the basics. A solar panel charges a battery. When the battery is fully charged, the system turns on a power inverter and switches the appliance from running on grid power to running on the solar power that is stored in the battery. When the battery gets low, the system automatically switches the appliance back to running on grid power. By using the solar power on a duty cycle, you take full advantage of all the available solar power.

I built a simple system that periodically powers a desk lamp for less than $200

For step by step instructions on how to build one of these systems, check out my Instructables page:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-any-home-appliance-into-a-solar-electr/

11 comments:

  1. Electric system down to make it cheaper and easier to implement.
    Review AC Contractors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this useful technical tip to use solar energy in home appliances. We are Appliance Repair Los Angeles company and repairing home appliance. Now we will try to add this new function in our appliance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bu gerçekten çok güzel. Ben senin fikrin gerçekten takdir. Paylaşım için teşekkürler. kampanyali beyaz esya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe I've found this. Thank you so much. I'll find what are the appliances in my household that spend electricity the most and I'll conver them to hybrids using this tutorial. In a meanwhile, if you'll ever need manuals for your household devices feel free to download them here Avaya manual

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful and creative. I just love the colors and whoever gets it in the mail will be smiling. Best

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be my first follow thru instruct able. NO experience doing circuit boards but this project is PERFECT for my needs. I am have a problem with the control circuit list.The optional items what are they needed for and what happens if not used? How about a picture of the backside of the board? So I can see the traces please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The optional parts are for a charge controller circuit that prevents the battery from being over charged. But this isn't necessary if you regularly turn on the appliance. Sorry, I don't have the original board anymore. I gave it to a friend. So I can't get any new pictures of it. You will just have to follow the circuit diagram.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What an eye opener this post has been for me. Very much appreciated, bookmarked, I can’t wait for more!
    sub-zero refrigerator repair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant job, I am really looking forward for somebody who could help me in repairing my microwave. I think you could help me out Appliance repair Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete